Thursday, January 9, 2014

Sci-Fi Traditions & Thoughts

Hi there, how's everyone today?

This week, the third book in my RECAST series was released from Samhain Publishing.
 
SHIVER is the story of a captured gladiator forced to fight for survival, and what happens when he gets the chance to escape imprisonment. Except, he ends up getting caught in a different kind of trap. Well, there are actually two: the bloodthirsty change coming over him, and being captured by a different kind of crazy.
 
During NaNoWriMo I actually wrote the fourth instalment of this series, and couldn't help wondering where my love of Science Fiction began...
 
I know it started with Star Wars. I was just a kid when I watched the first movie, but it always stuck. I fell in love with the innocent Luke, and the cheeky pirate, Han. Not to mention that I thought Leia was the best kind of princess. Plus all those different planets and ships and aliens... Wow. It's amazing how much of an impression the original Star Wars trilogy had on me. And so began an interest in a variety of Sci-Fi shows from the 70s and 80s: Space: 1999, Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Land of the Giants, V, and so on.
 
And that's where tradition comes in. Every year on Christmas Day my husband, daughter and I sit down to watch Star Wars Episode 4-6 in a row. It's always a blast. No matter how many times I watch these movies, I still love them. You know what's super awesome about sharing them this way? That my daughter also loves them. I think it's important that young girls realise Science Fiction is a genre for all of us, not just the guys.
 
It's no wonder I love telling Sci-Fi stories. And like a lot of the anime that I've enjoyed seems to do, I add an edge of darkness and even sprinkle a little supernatural into the mix. ;)
 
Thanks for reading,
Yolanda  
 
SHIVER is now available:



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation