Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Writing With A Soundtrack

by S.A. Hoag


I generally write while listening to music. It relaxes me, gets a rhythm going, and the words flow. If I'm writing an action scene, I've got Metallica, The Scorpions, AC/DC, Iron Maiden . . . You get the idea. For general writing, there's always the stand-bys of Rush and Journey.



I'm fairly eclectic when it comes to music. My MP3 player has Hugo Montenegro and David Garrett, AC/DC to ZZ Top and lots of 80's music in between. Music has always been my muse. There are a couple Easter Eggs in 'The Vista' that are song references. I snicker and don't really expect anyone else will notice them. That's all right too.



Why music? Why not! Every culture has a love of music; it transcends language barriers. For me, it pulls out emotions and words and lets me put them into thoughts that turn into stories. Sometime I keep them, sometimes I don't. When I'm doing a later edit, I pick out a soundtrack for the particular book. Love songs when the scene is there. Instrumentals for other parts, loud guitars for fights and conflicts. 'I'll Follow You' by Shinedown was on repeat for quite a time when I edited the ending of book 1.



Pick something that fits and go with it. I'm not trying to advertise any particular music, just music. Many of you are way ahead of me on the publishing side and probably already knew this. Another thing that helps? Find new music. I'd never heard Shinedown but that song stuck, that was the one I needed for the scene.



Close your eyes and just listen.



~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~





  Blurb - The Vista by S. A. Hoag



Team Three has a secret, one they think they've kept from all but a select few colleagues. They couldn't be more wrong.



Allen, MacKenzie and Wade are Vista Security's top officers, part of the first generation post-World War 3. They've trained all their lives to survive and thrive in a cold, hostile world. Their secret - they believe they are genetically enhanced and are unquestionably connected psychically. Hidden away in an enclave in the Rocky Mountains, they're also at the forefront of the movement to see what's left of the outside world. Not everyone in The Vista is as eager to venture forth.



As they attempt to learn the truth, their mere presence makes them targets of a vicious renegade with the means to destroy everything they know. Facing exile or worse, Team Three has short time to figure out who is enemy, who is friend and how to save their home and themselves.



The Vista: Book 1 of The Wildblood series takes place in the near-future where the Earth has been nearly emptied of human beings by a short and devastating world war. Venturing beyond the safety of their valley may be the best move Security has ever made; it's absolutely the most dangerous.

 

~~~~~~~~~~



S. A. Hoag is an author, lapidary artist, very amateur astronomer ("I just look at the stars, I can't name 'em."), and accidental desert-dweller. Born in the middle of the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, more specifically Salida, she has lived in a number of cities in a number of states before crash-landing in the New Mexico desert. Not Roswell, however. Science Fiction has always been her first interest in reading and writing; many other genres sneak into the novels and that's alright with her.



Where to find her -

S. A. Hoag, Author Website: http://www.topaz08.com

 
 


Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this guest post are solely that of the author and not that of the SFR Brigade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation