Friday, October 7, 2011

Guest Blogging at SF Signal About QUEENIE'S BRIGADE

I'm cross-posting this news from The Galaxy Express:

When author Robert Appleton (SPARKS IN COSMIC DUST) remarked that QUEENIE'S BRIGADE "immediately calls to mind THE DIRTY DOZEN," he was absolutely spot on (and he should know a thing or two about homages since SPARKS IN COSMIC DUST is full of homages to THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE!).

While QB does indeed have much in common with THE DIRTY DOZEN (and while we're at it, THE DEVIL'S BRIGADE), the inspiration for the story actually originated from another source--especially since I was too young to even know about THE DIRTY DOZEN when it came out (scratch that--I hadn't even been born yet!).

However, in writing a futuristic tale about criminal underdogs who save the day, I added a couple of fresh twists. One, of course, was a romance. The other is a new ingredient that most other Dirty Dozen style tales possess in abysmally low quantities.

If you'd like to know more about how QUEENIE'S BRIGADE evolved as well as the innovation it brings to stories of its type, I invite you to read my guest post at SF Signal: THE DIRTY DOZEN...in Spaaace!

I'm also making an appearance at the Red Sage blog in the form of (cue the Wonder Twin chant) fun facts.

Happy reading!

3 comments:

  1. Great article, Heather. Love the premise.

    It actually reminded me a bit of the Aliens movie (Aliens 3?) set on the prison colony, though the female MC (Ripley) wasn't really part of the prison gang.

    Really looking forward to reading Queenie's Brigade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say congrats too, Heather. Like Laurie I really think this premise is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laurie Incidentally, I was reading an article on ALIENS just yesterday and realized it had some Dirty Dozen similarities.

    I'd seen A 3 in the theater but had forgotten about the prison colony element. I didn't like that film as much as the first two (which is probably why I hadn't thought about the prison colony aspect until now, heh) but I wouldn't mind re-watching it to experience the DD element!

    Thanks for your interest in QB!

    @Kaye Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you! Comments must pass moderation to be published. Spam will be deleted.

SFR Brigade Bases of Operation